Thursday, November 18, 2010

Vampiros, brujas y esqueletons...oh my!



My roommate, Devon, had a very nice slideshow of pictures on her blog, so I decided to make one too. For some reason, however, mine doesn't want to post to my blog. :/ Once I figure it out, it should be quite lovely! Stayed tuned...

---

Halloween recap:

Halloween was AMAZING. Almost every single kid had a costume. I can honestly say they were by far the cutest vampires, witches, and skeletons that I have ever seen. These kids went all out. I'm talking face paint, homemade costumes, the works. I started my day in infantil, which is ages 3 and 4. I usually don't work with children that young, but they were having their parties during the day, so we helped the infantil teachers with the planned events. It was a lot of fun, but after being with 3 and 4 year olds for a couple of hours, I was ready to get back to my 1st and 2nd graders.

I didn't want to dress up for the morning, because I knew I would be with my kids after lunch. I didn't want to spoil the surprise by letting them see me around the school during the earlier part of the day. So, during our lunch period, I went to the bathroom to put on my costume. I had gotten some fake blood (that looked almost entirely too real), some white face paint, and some vampire teeth at a Halloween store. I put some of the blood on my neck and let it run down to where it really did look like a vampire just took a bite out of me! I patted some of the white paint on my face, then rubbed a little black eyeliner under my eyes. I have to say, the costume came together quite well. When I came out of the bathroom, I even gave some of the teachers a good scare. Once the bell rang, I went to stand by the door and wait for the kids to come inside. Let me tell you, their little jaws dropped  when they saw me. Some of them even ran away! Now that's what I call a successful Halloween costume! We had a party in our hallway for the 1st and 2nd graders and all of the kids were just circled around me asking, "Estephanie?! Es sangre de verdad?!" It actually worked out perfect because one of the male teachers was dressed as a vampire, and some of the kids were asking if he had bitten me. I played along until about 5 minutes before school got out, then I broke down and told them that it was fake blood. During our party, we read Halloween stories and made a special witch's brew. We put fake spiders, lizards, and frogs in the couldron, then fed them candy fingers and orange juice. The kids really enjoyed it. All in all, it was probably one of the most fun Halloween parties I have ever attended! I think my favorite part of the whole ordeal was when I came to school the following week. The kids looked so surprised to see me. Finally one came up to me and said, "Pensábamos que estabas muerto!" (We thought you were dead!) Priceless.




---

Not too much else has happened since the last update. I've been exploring different parts of Madrid with friends, and enjoying the cooler weather. My parents mailed me a box full of things from home this past Friday, so it should be here in about a week. I'm so excited to get it! It's been making me a bit homesick to realize that when I open that box, my parents will have touched those items, and will have actually put those items in that box. Corny, I know. It's amazing the things you appreciate when you're so far from family.

During the first week of December we have a holiday where we are off from school from December 3rd to December 12th! A group of friends here in Madrid have been trying to decide what we should do. I think we've finally decided to rent a car and drive around Spain. I'm really excited to see the countryside, as well as other cities throughout Spain. We're supposed to meet to discuss the details sometime this week. While I love Madrid, I think it would do me good to get out of the city soon. Ha, saying that reminds me of the story "The City Mouse and the Country Mouse" (http://www.storyit.com/Classics/Stories/citycountrymouse.htm). Citylife is fun and bustling, but sometimes I need a bit of fresh air and tranquility.

No comments:

Post a Comment