Thursday, October 28, 2010

Becoming Madrileña

1

madrileño, madrileña (adj.) - of or from Madrid.   ...Compliments of www.merriam-webster.com

---

It's been a while since my last post, and a lot has happened. I'm over my sickness, for the most part, and finding my footing in Madrid. It was a rocky start, but from what I hear, that's just how it is when you move to a new country. I've made it past the first month abroad marker, so I think the worst is over! Madrid is becoming more comfortable and I feel like I'm finally beginning to become "madrileña"! 

Our apartment is starting to feel like home. It took a little sprucing up and a couple of lamps, but my room feels cozy now. We live in such a lively area. We are only a couple of blocks from Calle Gran Vía, which is the upscale, commercial area of the city. We live between Plaza de España and Plaza del Callao, two of the most busy plazas on the street. Plaza del Callao is also the main cinema area. A couple of weeks ago there was a big premiere, with supposedly famous people, a few blocks away from our apartment. It's still kind of surreal to think that this is our home until July. We are also located only a few blocks away from El Palacio Real, the official residence of the King of Spain, Juan Carlos I. However, the palace is only used for state ceremonies and the king doesn't actually live there. It's quite a lovely place, though! 

I absolutely love my job here in Spain. I'm teaching 1st and 2nd graders, and they are absolutely adorable. Since it's a bilingual school, some subjects are taught in English. For example, the 2nd graders learn science in English. So it is absolutely imperative that they learn and understand English in order to comprehend the science material. It's kind of intense, but the kids are so smart. I have about 100 students all together. There are two 1st grade classes with about 25 students in each, and then the same for 2nd grade. At first, I didn't really like teaching the first graders because this is the first year that they've been taught in English. I felt like I was speaking to a brick wall. However, just over the last month, I can tell a difference in their ability to comprehend what I say. The best part about teaching 1st graders is that after class, I usually get 25 hugs. One will come up and hug me, and then everyone will come. It's the greatest feeling. The 2nd graders I teach are a little more advanced and are able to understand more of what I say. Just as with the 1st graders, I can already tell that they are improving with their English. All of them are so eager to talk with me and ask me questions. They are always asking "Teacher! Teacher! How do you say  this in English?" 

The English teachers have big plans for Halloween. The teacher that I work with the most, Marta, has been planning for a couple of weeks. The whole school is decorated with spider webs, pumpkins, and frankenstein pictures that the kids have been drawing. Tomorrow we are going to have a big Halloween party all day. It should be really fun! All the kids want me to dress up, but getting on the metro as a witch or something of the liking will be kind of strange. Everyone stares at me already, so I'm not sure about drawing more attention to myself! But it's all in good fun, so I'll probably just suck it up and do it. :)

This is a picture of Marta and me with the spider web that we made out of yarn! The kids were at recess when we decided to put it up on the ceiling by the school's entrance, but it didn't stay a secret for long. They were all so excited! Tomorrow I'm going to take my camera to school to capture all of the Halloween festivities. 

---

I'm going to try to post again this weekend with pictures of the Halloween party at school and pictures of our apartment! Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Should've brought your costume with you!! Sounds like things are turning around and you're enjoying yourself. :-)

    ReplyDelete